Zen theme & sub themes for Drupal
If you are building your own standards-compliant theme for Drupal, start with the Zen theme. Its an easy and clean theme with great documentation both included and available online. It has the support of a large community of developers and users. The Zen theme is meant to be a very flexible standards-compliant and semantically correct XHTML theme that can be easily modified through CSS and Drupal’s template system. I have found it works well alongside the CSS Injector module.
Install Zen theme and create sub theme:
- install zen theme in the ./all/themes/ folder
- read the README and follow directions on Build your own sub-theme (use your new theme name in place of NewSubthemeName)
- #1.) copy the STARTERKIT folder into ./sites/all/themes/ (or ./sites/currentsite/themes/) & rename STARTERKIT to the name of your NewSubthemeName
- #2.) rename the Zen.info to your new NewSubthemeName.info (for Drupal 6, NOT 5)
- edit the file, make: “name= NewSubthemeName”
- #3.) copy a layout file from the Zen theme (either layout-liquid.css or layout-fixed.css) into your NewSubthemeName folder
- rename the file layout.css
- #4.) copy the zen.css into your NewSubthemeName folder
- rename the file NewSubthemeName.css
- #5.) copy the print.css from the zen folder and place it in your NewSubthemeName folder
- #6.) copy the html-elements.css from the zen folder and place it in your NewSubthemeName folder
- #7.) edit the template.php and theme-settings.php files in NewSubthemeName folder
- replace ALL occurances of STARTERKIT with NewSubthemeName.
- Administer > Site building > Themes (./admin/build/themes) and enable your new sub-theme
- Zen sub themes reference to the main Zen theme and so the Zen theme needs to be installed for sub themes to work properly.
- The Zen name is homage to the CSS Zen Garden site where designers can redesign the page purely through the use of CSS.
- the README.txt contains info on overriding the Zen core style sheets and templates as well as info on theming the search form.
- The HTML source order has content placed before sidebars or the navbar for increased accessibility and SEO.
- Zen themes work with Update Status for both Drupal 5 & 6.